The Library is an important LGQG resource available to our members and it is well used – an impressive number of books are borrowed each month. Over the last year, however, a number of members have not followed the Guild’s borrowing policy and simply slip their overdue books onto the return table without paying the overdue fines. The Guild Library operates on the “Honour” system. The monthly fine at a “Loonie” per item is very reasonable – less than a cup of coffee. The Guild Executive would like to remind its members of our Library Policy and the need to comply. Please note that all paid overdue fines are re-introduced into the Library Budget and used to purchase new titles. For example, since January this year, $102.00 has been collected in overdue fines – this translates roughly into an additional four-five books for our library.
So, here for review, are the LGQG “Library Rules”:
- Library books are available to MEMBERS ONLY for the period of one month (guild meeting to guild meeting).
- Members may borrow up to THREE items per month.
- A book can be extended for another month if you are not finished with it. Renew it at the next guild meeting or let the librarian know by emailing email@example.com if you are unable to attend the next meeting.
- Fines are a “LOONIE” per month.
- Sign out your books before taking them away from the library table.
- Only the year 2005 or newer books will be accepted for donation. Please sign the inside cover with your name and the date donated. These books are always gratefully received but PLEASE use discretion with your donations!
- A “Suggestion” and “Reservation” book list is located at the sign-out table. Please give the librarians your input. Putting your name and date of suggestion will help direct the book to you when it has been purchased, or for a reserved book, when it has been returned to the library.
We are trying to add books and subscriptions to the library which are of interest to Guild members so please do let us know of new books that you are interested in. Otherwise you will have to be satisfied with the titles we choose!
Please note that at the June Guild meeting older issues of a number of our magazine subscriptions are going to be on sale for $0.50/issue in order to make room in Library for new titles. Be sure to check out the Sale Table!
New to the library this month:
Sweet Celebrations with the Moda Bake Shop Chefs: 35+ Projects to Sew from Jelly Rolls, Layer Cakes, Fat Quarters, Charm Squares & More (#987)
“Quilts, bags, pillows, table décor…you’ll find something pretty and practical to make for every event on your calendar.” Projects from 22 popular bake shop chefs.
Quilts from the House of Tula Pink: 20 Fabric Projects to Make, Use and Love (#988)
Tula Pink is an American textile designer and quilt maker. This is a very fun book with interesting techniques and some beautiful modern designs. Chapter topics include: “Fearless Fabric Selection”, “Quilting is Notan Afterthought”, “A Peek into Fabric Design,” and “Haiku Quilts.”
Modern Designs for Classic Quilts: 12 Traditional Inspired Patterns Made Modern (#989)
Wrritten by two quilters who met at the first meeting of a modern quilt guild. It offers a good techniques section, 12 lovely quilts, and 8 smaller projects.
Daily Beauty: 365 Ways to Play with Everyday Quilt Embellishments (#990)
The author challenged herself to use cotton makeup pads to find 365 variations on a basic block – using the simple circle as a symbol for beauty, with multiple background colours and textures to illustrate the richness and beauty present in everyday life.