Botanical Beauty Workshop by Sandra Sandvik (one spot still available)
Date: Saturday May 25, 2019
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., ½ hour lunch
Location: St. Agnes Church, 530 East 12th Street, N. Vancouver
Contact Workshops to register.
Story Telling with Collage and Free-motion Stitching with Lorna Moffat
Date: Saturday, September 21st, 2019*
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., ½ hour lunch
Location: Edgemont Village, room TBA
Cost: $75.00 (includes kit and patterns)
* Please note that this class takes place before the September guild meeting.
We are excited to announce that our first fall workshop will be with local artist Lorna Moffat. Lorna is a lively and proud Scottish fibre artist trained in Glasgow. She lives in North Vancouver, is a member of the Circle Craft board and a popular exhibitor at the annual Circle Craft show. Her unique style of collage applique is energetic, fun and a fabulous way to turn your scraps into art! Lorna is offering us a one day class to learn her unique brand of story-telling with thread stitched over machine appliqued fabric shapes. Here’s her class description:
Create a design for either a pillow cover or a frame using simple appliqué shapes and patterns on a wool Melton background. With a darning foot decorate the collaged and layered shapes by stitching free motion details on and around your design (photos are examples only). Lorna will start you off with some fun experiments using the darning foot and black thread to practice ‘drawing with thread’ onto the wool. In the workshop you’ll be playing with the following techniques:
- tracing from drawings and stencils
- experimenting with heat n bond to apply shapes to the background
- you’ll love the process of selecting various combinations of colour and pattern
- considering scale of one shape to another when designing
- using the darning foot as a ‘drawing tool’, where the thread not only holds the fabrics together but creates detail, simple or ornate, to create an interesting and unique surface
- dropping your feed dogs and letting your imagination run bonkers
Class fee includes one kit containing: a piece of wool Melton in either red, cream or grey, a metre of heat’n bond and worksheets in 3 different themes with stencil/pattern/design ideas to work from. Extra kits may be available at a cost of $20.
Registration opens at the May meeting. Payment is required to secure your
registration. Or: contact Workshops to register.