All members of the Lions Gate Quilters’ Guild are also members of the Lions Gate Community Quilts Society. This is a separate society, because the BC Government has rules about where the funds from the raffle quilt are allocated. Community Quilts is funded by raffling a guild-made quilt at our shows, held every two years.
Community Quilts has a long history of encouraging Guild members to provide community service by creating quilts for many local organizations including: Lions Gate Hospital Oncology Clinic, NICU, Evergreen Extended Care, Hospice, HOPE Centre, Lookout Emergency Aid Shelter, Turning Point Recovery (Men and Women), Kiwanis and Cedar View Care Centres. We also have provided quilts for individuals in times of crisis.
The Society holds a Community Quilts Workshop usually once a year. Ongoing, there are kits available for sewing, as well as fabrics and batting for creating from scratch, and lots of people to help just a phone call away.
We always welcome quilts that members make and donate from their own stash.
Baby: 36″ x 40″
Wheelchair: 36″ x 40″
Child or Lap: 50″ x 60″
Twin: 60″ x 80″
Great Reasons to Contribute
- You make a difference in someone’s life – the feedback is wonderful!
- It feels good to volunteer.
- You use up stash you don’t want.
- You can try something new… like a new colour combination or pattern.
- You can practise machine quilting – it only needs to be nice, not perfect!
- At the workshop, you can learn from other quilters.
- There’s great camaraderie at the workshop.
- Help is always available in our guild.